Today marked another milestone in our family. We sent off our second child to public school today. We are very blessed to live just a couple of minutes from all the schools our children will attend. Our experience so far has been very positive. As a parent, educating your children is one of the most important decisions! For us, we are taking it on a year by year, child by child basis.
Caroline has excelled at school. She has a very driven personality and picks up quickly on new concepts. We are very proud of her! This year, a first for her, she has a male teacher. Mr. Conkle was Teacher of the Year last year. So far, she really likes him and is very excited for second grade.
Jonathan will be attending afternoon Kindergarten this year. We are fortunate that half day kindergarten is still offered in our area! We've opted for afternoons so he can attend BSF with us on Tuesday mornings for another year. Also, since the little two still nap, it will make for productive, quiet afternoons for me!! He is so excited to be starting school. With Caroline's help, Jonathan is very advanced academically. He is reading basic sight words, knows several addition facts and many other things that his big sister talked about all last year. The one thing I didn't work with him on was handwriting. Hopefully, he will pick up on the D'Nealian style quickly.
Elizabeth believed that she was also going to school today as well. She had to have her backpack on as well!
When we took Jonathan to school, we took pictures by the sign. I love how Jonathan was being the big brother and holding onto Elizabeth and Matthew's hands!
Mrs. Noland is the aide in Jonathan's class. She was also the aide for Caroline 2 years ago. We just love her! The afternoon class is usually smaller -- another benefit -- which allows for more interaction with the teacher/aide and my child!
Jonathan was raring to go. No tears, just let me get going! David wanted to talk to him and called him over to where we were standing. Jonathan didn't want to come as he was afraid he'd get in trouble. David just wanted to remind Jonathan to be a good friend to another little boy who was having a little more trouble with going to school. Jonathan is such a sweet boy, we knew he'd be a compassionate friend. Mrs. Pietras is Jonathan's teacher standing in the background.
Our afternoon went by quickly. Matthew and I made a trip to the pediatrician. He has yet another ear infection or the last one didn't get completely cleared up. I dropped him back home for his nap, then went to the store to get his prescription. David snuggled on the couch with Elizabeth while we were at the doctor's office. He got some good reading time in with her. We were both very excited when it was time for us to meet the bus!
The bus was actually very close to being on time. I remember our first year when Caroline was in Kindergarten and the bus was about 20 minutes late. I was freaking out!! I was afraid I wasn't going to get her back! Both kids had such big smiles and came running up the driveway to greet us! We got big hugs and kisses. I think they may have missed us....just a little bit!!
After dinner, we headed back out to run a couple of errands. We stopped back by the school to get Caroline's picture by the school sign. I love how Jonathan was looking adoringly at his big sister in this one!
We surprised the kids with a new tradition -- milkshakes at Steak n Shake! Caroline ate an entire regular size Chocolate shake by herself!
Jonathan had a Banana shake while the little two and I shared a Strawberry. I love my blue eyed kiddos!!


Mr. Matthew had his first dose of antibiotics in him, but still was not feeling well. Before we know it, we'll be sending him off to school!
I'm looking forward to this year, the new things the older two will learn and do while also getting to spend a little more time with the younger two. Life is busy with four kiddos, but it sure is fun!!





Your post made me cry! They just grow up TOO FAST! Your such a great mom! You always make me want to live at your house b/c of all the fun things you do!
ReplyDelete